Even a stopped clock....

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

TV3....why?

I've tried, God knows I've tried but I still cannot find much to recommend Ireland's flagship non-public service TV station
In fairness, they give good coverage of the Eircom league, more than any other channel as far as I'm aware but it's when they try their hand in other areas that things can come a cropper
Take politics for instance - the Political Programme, I'm sure it's heart is in the right place and Ursula Halligan seems an affable and pleasant person but the program just doesn't work on so many levels
First of all there's the cameras, they seem to be zoomed in almost permanently so what you get is a close up of Pat Rabbitte or Graham Geraghty's mug! So we're off to a bad start straight away
But then there's the questioning which for the most part seems trivial and inane, nothing of any real substance
This is 'The Political Programme' so therefore we'd like to hear about politics, not how many dogs Bertie owns or what's Enda Kenny's favourite colour (blue?!)
The atmosphere is all very pally pally, almost sickeningly so
Questions and Answer on RTE isn't perfect either by any means but it's streets ahead of this
Now maybe I'm completely missing the point of the programme but for me there is little point in having programmes like this
Why TV3 got rid of 'Agenda' with David McWilliams i do not know but that was an example of hoiw TV3 CAN do politics well if it really tries
Come on TV3, you can do better than this, prove me wrong!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 18 April, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Well Bar, I thought I'd add a comment to your rapidly expanding Blog!
Generally I avoid TV3 unless it's for soccer games or other sports.
Agenda was excellent and they used to get some heavyweight international politicians on that programme too.
Having said that, watching Judge Judy is a great way to unwind after a hard day at the office!

Ray H

 
At Thursday, 19 April, 2007, Blogger Baz said...

Cheers Rayo
Yeh they're not bad for the soccer, particularly the domestic scene
I thought 'Agenda' was their best programme by far, and then they go and ditch it!
That was McWilliam's finest hour long before he became obsessed with robopaddies and yummy mummies!

Can't say I'm a big fan of Judge Judy meself, but have been known to watch 'Dr. Phil' on occasion!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home